header-photo

Monday, February 26, 2007

Tidbits

- The workshop with the dental staff was not my most stellar performance. It is much harder to deliver a meaningful workshop when the participants would rather be in the bar drinking. For the first half of the session, they just sat there staring at me like I had some nerve wasting their time that way. It's pretty hard to feed off of group energy when there is none. It wasn't a total flop, though. They warmed up to it and the group exercise I planned for the second half actually went over quite well.

- Nikki's Fair Trade birthday party didn't quite go according to plan. Some of the girls had a ringette game, so only one of them could make it to the party early enough to get to Ten Thousand Villages with us before they closed. But the other girls all bought their presents there ahead of time, and the store gave us a bunch of fair trade snacks (chocolate, dried fruit, hot chocolate), so it wasn't a total dud. Nikki now has a collection of funky global jewellery that rivals mine - the girl's got great taste!

- The rest of the party was at a hotel. I spent the night trying to sleep, while four giddy girls spent most of the night giggling. Though sleep would have been nice, I quite enjoyed the giggling. There is something very life-affirming about the joy of preteen girls. By two-thirty, though, I let them know that even though I was fairly tolerant, the rest of the hotel guests might not be, so they'd better keep it down. Soon afterwards, they were all sound asleep - all 4 of them in a King-sized bed. I wish my camera batteries hadn't died.

- We had a family get-together at our house for Nikki's birthday yesterday. Between the parties and the workshop on Friday night, I'm wiped.

- We made lasagna for the family party. Since I've given up meat for lent, I made a vegetarian lasagna which turned out better than any meat lasagna I've had in a long time. Mmmm... tasty! Leftovers for lunch today. Yum, yum.

- Dennis Quaid is shooting a movie in the old church next to my office. I haven't spotted him yet, but then again, I haven't really been looking. Mostly, I've just seen a bunch of big trucks blocking the street and parking lot.

- Speaking of celebrities, doesn't Britney Spears just look like a scared, vulnerable little girl under all that craziness? I wonder if anyone is loving her through this? I hope so.

- My next business trip is to Regina. After Africa, you can't get much more anti-climactic than Regina. Fortunately, it's only for one night.

- Maddie has asked me to pick her up more in the last month than she did in the 4 years of her life before that. My highly independent, non-cuddly girl has become cuddly lately, and I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

- Nikki has a new pen-pal - Vicki's daughter. In this age of electronics, it's fun to see a girl get excited about what's coming in the mail. I may have to help Julie find a pen-pal too. Anyone have a nine (almost ten)-year-old daugher they'd like to line up for a pen-pal?

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I don't suppose that Regina in winter is particularly appealing, but not many places in Canada fascinate me at this time of year. Soon enough though.

mmichele said...

i have the sweetest little niece in guelph who would be a faithful penpal and just the kind of family you'd want your kid to spend a week with, as well.

Liz said...

Since my oldest has been a vegetarian, I always make lasagna that way. I don't think I could eat it with meat anymore, although I don't eat red meat anyway.

(I fail miserably at your word verification!)

Linda said...

I used to make a vegetarian lasagne with lots of mushrooms. It was delicious! I prefer it to the one with ground beef.

Anonymous said...

"...they just sat there staring at me like I had some nerve wasting their time that way." I could feel my chest constricting in panic just READING this. Tough crowd. Glad you got them warmed up!

Sounds like the party was great. A night at a hotel is such a great idea. I'm filing that one away for future use.

Oh, and I've been meaning to pipe in on your last two posts, but couldn't articulate what I wanted to say. Let me just say I loved reading them, and I nodded my head a great deal.

Gina said...

Ugh, I've been there with the non-responsive crowd. But, it seems like you got to them, or else they really wouldn't have liked the excercise, either! Good for you!

Such a cool mom, sleepover at a hotel!

Anonymous said...

It's been nice watching Olivia get to know someone through the written word. Olivia is learning a few things about culture through the letters, like how spelling of the word color is different and the titles before a name Mrs. Miss Mr. It's good for them isn't it?

I've tried to lead worship in a room full of Non Worshipers. It's tough. I know just what you felt when trying to teach that group. May you have ENDURANCE in ABUNDANCE!

I'm having left over cold pizza from Pizza Hunt for lunch. Lucky you and your lasagna.

BarnGoddess_01 said...

If this will make you feel any better, I hate dentists with a passion....

it sounds like the b-day party was a hit :)

Dennis Quaid, I hope you get a glimpse! When they filmed the movie 'Twister' in Oklahoma, a few people I knew were Extras. They loved it.

Spears....she has gone around the bend. I never thought anyone could lose a custody battle to her ex the idiot Federline but I may be wrong...those poor little babies in the middle of their parents screwed up lives.

Even tho I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I still have the urge to not eat meat on Fridays thru out lent. Old habits die hard!

Hope said...

I grew up in Regina. 1810 Bond Street.... just popped into my head.
great memories
Funny you should mention Britney Spears, I was thinking the same thing, how over her head she looks and how easy it is to take pot shots and bask in the pain of others. I have felt similar feelings for Anna Nicole. Lost souls.

Pamela said...

I read the last couple of your posts while at work (where I cannot comment)...
and I forgot what I was going to ask you.

I'm having hard time keeping up because I've had some busy couple of weeks.